|Alt. name|| Vaisravana|
Viina (by Kazuma)
Bisha (by Kofuku)
Pervy Nympho/Crazy Chick (by Yato)
Bishamon (common English translation)
|Hair|| Blonde (anime) |
|Occupation|| God of War |
God of Fortune
|Manga debut||Chapter 6|
|Anime debut||Episode 5|
|Japanese voice||Miyuki Sawashiro|
|English voice||Elizabeth Maxwell|
Bishamonten (毘沙門天), also known as Vaisravana or Bishamon, is one of the deadliest war gods. Her most commonly known Shinki is her blessed vessels Kazuma, but she has 9 known combat ready Shinki in total. In addition to these, she has a veritable army of ones who work in her temple.
Bishamon is a beautiful, pale, slender woman appearing to be in her early twenties. Her hair is long enough to touch her heels and is colored pale blonde. Her eyes are colored bright lavender and appear cat-like when she is angered. She stands at 171cm (5'7") tall. Her normal attire, when in combat, consists of: a short grey skirt and grey jacket, over her black bra, black hat, belt and gun holster, and long boots, all of which are her Shinki. She is also seen wearing a cherry blossom-shaped earring (Kazuma in his Shinki form).
When not in combat, she wears a much less revealing, all black military-style outfit, consisting of a trench coat with red stripes, (One on top of each shoulders, two on the right hip, one on the left hip, one on each end of the sleeves.), a white blouse underneath, black pants, boots, and a black tie. She is also shown holding a cane.
Despite being a fearsome god of war, Bishamon is shown to be quite generous towards her Shinki. She willingly accepts any wandering and troubled spirit, useful or not, and adds them to her family of sacred treasures. Due to her failure in saving her Shinki in the past, Bishamon decides to be more distant from them, depicting herself as a fierce god and making sure that they are not worried about her, which only resulted to them being more insecure and lonely.
Due to her past with Yato, she was bent on vengeance and decided to destroy anything he held dear to himself. She goes as far as to almost disowning Kazuma when she finds out about his association with Yato. After finding out the true story about the death of her previous family of Shinki, Bishamon eventually lets go of her vengeance against Yato and slowly begins to be able to accept him as her ally.
She cares for her friends, and will do whatever she can to protect and help them, as shown when she stood up against heaven while trying to protect Ebisu as well as refusing to let go of her corrupted Shinki. She takes pride and relies on her subordinates, especially Kazuma, and has a strong sense of justice. Bishamon doesn't always support heaven's judgement and despite knowing their strength, she is set on a mission of destroying them in the recent chapters. She is a fairly friendly person and usually formal to people despite her short temper. Even after being one of the Seven Gods of Fortune and being able to reincarnate after dying, she refuses to let go of her life as she values her current individual self and does not wish to be replaced.
Bishamon refuses to give up and pushes herself to the end. This was shown during her clash with Yato. Even after being severely blighted, she refuses to back out. This also shows that she believes in her own decision and doesn't allow her will to crumble. Once she decides on a particular task, she forces herself past every limit to accomplish it.
Kazuma is the last of Bishamon's previous generation of Shinki. As a result, they have been at each other's side for a long while, and are close companions. Bishamon cares greatly for Kazuma. She views him not as a subordinate, but as a comrade and a friend, valuing his opinion and listening to his advice. She trusts him greatly.
However, upon the discovering that Kazuma assisted Yato in his Purification Ceremony, she declared that he had betrayed her. Still, when given the opportunity to excommunicate him, she hesitated, choosing instead to exile him. Though she stated that he "could become a stray for all [she] care[d]", she was visibly distraught by his betrayal.
After learning why, she forgave Kazuma and released him from exile.
Kazuma also calls her by the pet name "Viina" when talking to her privately. And this is a symbol of thier long relationship together.
Centuries beforehand, Yato slaughtered nearly all of Bishamon's Shinki, (though, unbeknownst to her, it was at Kazuma's request, as his brethren had become corrupt and were infecting their master with Blight). This would spawn her lifelong grudge towards him.
Bishamon despises Yato. She has spent decades hunting him, desiring to end him and anyone who happens to be acquainted with him. Her hatred of him drives her to be reckless and rash.
When she learns that Kazuma was the one who asked Yato to kill the ma clan of shinki in order to alleviate Bishamon of her pain and blight, she decides to let go of her vendetta against Yato. The two still have a rocky relationship and exchange barbs and punches with each other, but they are also more civil with each other and have worked together, such as when they tried to save Ebisu.
Bishamon is shown to respect Kofuku, and it is seen that they have been acquainted with one another for some time. While Bishamon accepted Kofuku's intervention in her and Yato's battle, and despite Kofuku's warning, she still persisted that she would destroy Yato, when given the chance.
Bishamon has a total of 9 known combat Shinki, each one with their own distinctive personality and weapon form:
|Name||Vessel Name||Vessel Form||Other Notes|
|Aiha (藍巴)||Medieval-style armor and skirt||Acts as defense|
|Akiha (秋巴 )||Shuuki (秋器)||Dagger||Acts as an attacking force|
|Karuha (刈巴 )||Gaiki (刈器)||Revolver||Acts as an attacking force|
|Kazuha (数巴)||Suuki (数器)||.45 caliber pistol||Acts as an attacking force|
|Sakura-shaped earring||Lead Shinki; Acts as navigator, target guidance, and power control.|
|Kinuha (紝巴)||Jinki (紝器)||Tipped-whip||Acts as an attacking force and restraint.|
|Kuraha (囷巴)||Kinki (囷器)||Lion||Acts as transportation and attacking force.|
|Tsuguha (紹巴)||Shoki(紹器)||Hat, short coat, black bra, short pleated skirt, and black underwear||Acts as defense.|
|Yugiha (靫巴)||Saiki (靫器)||Great Sword with abstract motifs||Acts as an attacking force.|
- 嶺巴 Mineha / 嶺器 Ryouki - Transforms into a small rectangular mirror with a cracked surface.
- 陸巴 Kugaha / 陸器 Rokki (released) - Transformed into a set of balance scales.
- 瑠巴 Ryuuha / 瑠器 Ruki - Transforms into a cane with a concealed blade adorned with a knight chess piece-shaped handle.
- 文巴 Fumiha (status unclear)
- 雛巴 Hinaha1 (status unclear)
- 鈴巴 Suzuha (deceased)
- 詢麻 Touma (deceased) - Transformed into a pot lid.
- 七 Nana / 七器 Shikki - Transforms into a set of garments, mask and weapon. Acts as defense and as offense. Even though she is a blessed vessel, since she did not evolve for Bishamon she holds none of the characteristics of a blessed vessel and seems to be an ordinary shinki to her.
- In an attempt not to get too attached to the Shinki, Bishamon does not give her the -ha family name as she initially plans to use Nana to eliminate "the sorcerer" without getting worried if Nana is exposed to "The God's Most Guarded Secret".
Years earlier, Bishamon had many Shinki. However, because of their numbers, she was unable to effectively watch over them, and they became corrupt. Unbeknownst to her, one of her few pure Shinki, Kazuma, requested that Yato slaughter all of her corrupt subordinates. Yato, heeding this request, did so, and Bishamon vowed revenge against him.
In her debut, Bishamon is seen discussing Yato with Kazuma. Later, she appears, suddenly, on the street, where Yato, Yukine , and Hiyori are conversing. Bishamon then attacks Yato, who counters with the Sekki, slicing her Shinki, Kinuha and Kuraha. He is then forced to retreat with Yukine. She then searches for him, using Kazuma, and follows him to the forest, where he had hid. She uses her whip, Kinuha, to attack him, slicing down a section of trees. When Yato comments on the injustice of her actions, that she would harm innocent lives for the sake of her revenge, she responds that lesser evils can be overlooked for the sake of destroying greater evils.
However, before Bishamon can continue her assault, Kofuku appears, opening up a Vent with Daikoku. Bishamon was about to give chase to Yato, when Kazuma tells her that, though she may be willing to pursue Yato no matter what the costs, he would not allow her to risk further harm to her Shinki. Bishamon, chastised, retreats, but not without warning.
She later visits Kofuku, asking about the latter's intervention in the battle. Kofuku tells Bishamon that, if something were to happen to Yato, she should be prepared for "a lot of Gloom". Bishamon is shocked by this and departs.
She is seen multiple times bathing, and later taking medicine given to her Kugaha, for her growing Blight. It is seen that Bishamon has a the habit of taking in lost souls, making them her Shinki. However, having so many Shinki wears on her, and it makes it difficult for her to care for all of them. As a result, many of her subordinates are seen feeling neglected or unloved; but, they attempt to put on a brave front to lesser their master's burdens.
Later, upon noticing the death of Suzuha, Bishamon is distraught by the loss of one of her Shinki.
Bishamon is later seen taking more medicine given to her by Kugaha. He mentions Kazuma's brief disappearance some time ago, and gives voice to the rumors that the latter was at Yato's Purification Ceremony. Bishamon, with faith, laughs and replies that such an accusation is "ridiculous".
Upon the discovery of Suzuha's death, Yukine, his acquaintance, follows Kazuma to Bishamon's shrine. When she sees that Yato's Shinki is in her home, she is furious. She is even more disturbed to see Kazuma conversing with him. She demands an answer from Kazuma, asking him if the rumors of his involvement with Yato's Purification Ceremony are true. When Kazuma confesses that they are, she is distraught. She accuses him of betraying her, to which Kazuma counters that Yato is their "benefactor". Bishamon, furious, attempts to shoot Yukine with Karuha; however, Kazuma draws a Boundary between them and Bishamon. Bishamon, shell-shocked, prepares to excommunicate Kazuma; however, she hesitates, choosing instead to exile Kazuma, telling him that he "could become a Stray for all she cared". She then departs, stricken that Kazuma, her blessed Shinki, has betrayed her.
Bishamon is the most powerful of the combat gods, surpassing even Yato in strength and reputation. She is well-known and feared worldwide. Yato has described her as being "a seriously frightening woman" and a "dangerous enemy".
A support group consisting of Akiha, Kuraha and Kinuha can also assist Veena by drawing borderlines to capture enemies or attack (in the case of Kuraha, who can destroy Ayakashi in his lion form).
- Bishamonten is a reference to the real god which is thought to have first originated from India. Bishamonten in the real world is a male and is often known as the god of war (武神), the same as Yato. The first origins of him come from Hindu's Kubera. His current name Vaisravana originates from the word Vizravas, meaning son of god. The name of Bishamonten/Vaisravana is now widely spread across eastern Asia from India to China, and ending in Japan. Bishamonten is one of the Seven Gods of Luck (七福神), from the Japanese culture(previously from Hindu). The mix culture shows the complex connections between ancient cultures and religions. The Bishamonten being a good example for the cultural mixture due to the Shinto (神道） Buddhism (仏教, बौद्धदर्शनम्) aspects.
- While there has been some debate as to whether her sword-stick shinki Ruki that she used to kill the ayakashi is alive, it is confirmed she is alive as the same sword-stick can be seen briefly in chapter 27 when Yukine goes to Bishamon to tell her he and Yato have moved to the heavens, Bishamonten pulls out the sword-stick ready to attack Yato for kissing her at the picnic.
- Every time she calls on Choki he pierces her since gods heal after being injured.
- In the anime Bishamonten has blond hair, which is considered unusual as most Japanese people have natural hair colors of black or brown; in Japan, those with different hair color are often targets of harassment, especially those with blond or red hair. However, Takezumachi does mention at one point that Bishamonten is a foreign God, implying she was incorporated into Japanese folklore and hence the Heavens.
- Bishamon's other name Vaisravana is where Kazuma made her pet name from, and is spelled "Viina" instead of "Veena". Kazuma says is contains remnants of the beautiful sounds of her name, and he was asked by her to make a personal name for her after a meeting with lady Kofuku after the annihilation of the "ma" clan, and he acturely became a blessed vessel after naming her. Not acturely after his clans massacre.
- Bishamon is often possessive and over protective over her shinki because of the past tragedies that befell both the ma and ha clans. She holds Kazuma especially close to her.